Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Knabe Piano~!











This beautiful piano is an antique grand piano crafted in 1884 by a long-respected American manufacturer named Wm. Knabe & Co. of Baltimore. (serial#: 26898).

Coincidently, this piano was being rebuilt in a piano shop near my university, and I was lucky enough to visit this shop regularly to check its progress.

(It was an object of curiousity and of interest, partly because I own a similar piano made by the same company)

Finally, last Friday, I found out that this once-dissembled piano was in fact finished and assembled at last. Therefore I visited the shop and took these pictures on Monday.

It plays beautifully. I was surprised by its touch and sound, for its old action was fully rebuilt and replaced with new parts. This kind of rebuilding is quite difficult and challenging for older pianos, for they inherently have a different action design. Still, I felt that the touch of piano's keys were slightly heavier, perhaps resulted because of this change.

While in the shop, I also noticed that the owner of the piano shop was worried, for he said that this piano's owner was quite disinterested about its completion. He was concerned that the owner might not be able to pay for his work on this piano, given today's troublesome economical situations...

No comments:

Post a Comment